Prior to Covid 19, Kippax has been running social inclusion events and Healthy Ageing workshops for seniors in the local community. Now that Covid restrictions have eased, we want to build on those activities and deliver a program that addresses the physical, emotional, financial, social and spiritual needs of aging adults to anyone in the community aged 50 years and over.
As part of the Healthy Aging Program (supported by the ACT Government), we plan to facilitate access to existing programs run by Kippax Uniting Church and our partner organisations. In addition, we will facilitate a range of social inclusion activities such as board games, quizzes, current affairs and social issues groups. At the same time we will be facilitating access to programs run by partner organisations by offering a series of "try before you buy" vouchers to cover the cost of activities for a term.
Our first event for 2022 will be a bus trip to Braidwood. We'll be visiting St Andrews Anglican Church, and there'll be time to wander around this historic town. Leaving Kippax Uniting Community Centre at 9am on Tuesday 25 January. To register your spot please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6254 1733.
Over the next few months we will be running a series of wellness programs as part of our Healthy Ageing Project. This will cover topics such as Heart Health, Falls Prevention, Nutrition, Mindfulness, Diabetes Health and Foot Health and will be run by a registered nurse.
Falls Prevention Online Friday July 30, 9.30am - 12.30pm
● Learn about everyday fall risks and how to prevent them
● Increase balance, strength and stability.
● Find out about the medical safety devices to assist you and how they work.
Nutrition Online Monday August 2, 1-4pm
● Understanding the relationship between nutrition and managing your health.
● Ensuring you are getting enough energy from your diet.
● Understanding how different ingredients and food groups can affect your health.
Foot Care Online Friday 13 August, 9.30am-12.30pm
● Increase balance, strength and prevent falls.
● Manage chronic conditions and foot health.
● Learn how to alleviate and manage foot pain.
These workshops are being offered online only due to current Covid precautions.
If you wish to participate it is important that you register with Aimee by the Thursday prior to the workshop. If there are insufficient registrations they will be cancelled on the Friday prior to the scheduled workshop.
For more information go to https://kippax.uca.org.au/healthy-aging/healthy-ageing-wellbeing-workshops/